Monday, May 7, 2012

Pandora Radio – Online Branding


Pandora internet radio has been around for about 12 years now and I believe it is a great example of online branding. The whole idea of Pandora is to incorporate the Music Genome Project into personalized radio stations for its users. Users select a base song, band, or theme and then songs with similar musical elements are selected in order to create the station. Stations can further be “tuned” by liking or disliking songs that are selected and even by selecting more kinds of elements for Pandora to pick from.



I really see Pandora as a great way to experience music and to find new bands or songs that I like. I think that the brand’s focus on discovery and customizability really appeal to me and encourages me to keep coming back to Pandora. It’s almost like a treasure hunt every time I tune in looking to see what comes up.

Although I think the business model of Pandora is not ideal, (traditional advertising can only go so far) I think the brand has a very well established identity of discovery and customizability. It is the first place I go when I want to find new music and it is a lot of fun too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment