Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Online Gamble

I've only somewhat recently begun shopping online, perhaps having had my first purchase within the last year or so. I was hesitant about purchasing an item online for a few reasons: I couldn't try on the item of clothing (as all my online purchases are clothes), I didn't want to decipher return policy's, I didn't always trust the seller (if she or he was an individual selling on Etsy, or the like), I wanted the item at that moment refusing to wait for snail mail (I live in the "now" generation), I didn't know how reliable snail mail was (before I was introduced to package tracking), and I just felt uncomfortable without the physical (and theraputic) experience of conventional shopping. However, according to my checking account records, I've quickly gotten over those qualms and have taken the leap of faith into ecommerce, becoming one of its prime time shoppers.

My first online purchase was probably from Urban Outfitters, a store I rarely ever walk into due to its outrageous prices. However, after somehow landing on UO's emailing list (probably through all of my fashion industry social media networks and my extensive use of my fashion email account), I realized their sale items--some of which were splashed across my screen in bright bold colors and big bold letters--are what I call "super sale" items. A sale item for me ranges from $10-$20, the item of which originally was more than $50. UO's sale selection carries just that. And so, my first purchase was an amazing pair of pants for $10, which I still use to this day. The shipping fee is usually a flat rate of $10 or free with a $50 purchase, but during my first online shopping experience with UO, I read the bold words across the top of each page: "Today's the last day for free shipping, no minimum!" Hooked line and sinker.

UO allows buyers to comment on items and even post pictures of themselves wearing items they purchased. Even if the comments are negative--that the quality is terrible, that it's totally unlike the picture displayed online, that the item broke in two days--UO leaves them up for potential buyers to view. These comments have helped me immensely in decided what to purchase. Buyers also leave information about their body types and sizes to show potential buyers what size would be best to purchase. For example, one woman commented that she is usually a size small and has a 27 inch waist, but for this particular dress, she purchased an extra small as the sizes run big.

Since then, I've purchased items online from Etsy, Forever21, Wet Seal, and individual sellers on various fashion social networks like DelanceFashion.com where members can post items for sale. Payments made through PayPal have given me confidence in purchasing from such sellers. Ecommerce has made a believer out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment