Thursday, May 3, 2012

Anyone can taste the different between Coke and Pepsi?



     To answer to the question above, Yes, I can or at least I think so. However, there are millions of people out there cannot. They says that Coke and Pepsi's tastes are identical. The proof of that is many taste tests held around the world with 2 cups filled with Pepsi, and people who claimed that they could taste the difference, also claimed that definitely 1 of the cup provided was Coke and that cup is superior than the other, which they strongly believed it was Pepsi. This makes me question my tongue's ability: is my head messing with my tongue? What is it that it could make me strongly believe that I could taste the difference? 


     Well, as a marketer, I would answer myself that Coke has been doing such a great job defining their brand online and offline. I've known Coke since I was 5, and my brother, who is 10 years younger than me, knows Coke since he was ... 2 through Coke TV commercial advertisements. He prefer Coke because he has feelings that Coke has something to do to make him look "cool", to feel "awesome", to such beautiful relaxing lifestyle (I would guess he got those images/thoughts through Coke commercial ads on TV that he has been watching since he was little). Filled with all of these values and believes, my brother eventually claims that he can also taste the difference between Coke and Pepsi.


     Here is an example of a TV ads in Vietnam:




      Now my brother is 12. He hasn't yet had a Facebook account because he is not old enough (Just one more year though). However, he has been using my dad's account to play games and wonder around on Facebook. And take a look at Coke on Facebook:


    41 millions friends!
    Each of Coke's post has on average 4000 thousand likes, comments, etc. But take a look at those circles on the banner: do you see green? Do you see people having fun with friends? Does it look cool? Do you see relaxing moment of life? ...
I believe my brother will not hesitate for a second to hit "like". These are same images/values/believes that he is so familiar with.


   Anyway to cap this post up, there are 8 points I need to list out to justify why I believe Coke has been doing such great job with their online branding strategy:

  1. Same tone, same messages, same feelings carried over different channels and geographical locations.
  2. Social Media Signatures on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr, and the company website (logos, banners, fliers, etc.)
  3.  Website and other social media channels are all linked together to help spreading out same messages, ideas, deals, new campaigns, almost anything.
  4. Clearly define brand name on every marketing channels and touch points either through simple text message (on Facebook, Twitter) or through videos (on YouTube) or photo slideshow (on Flickr).
  5. Periodically remind consumers of the brand.
  6. In-depth focus on customer interaction with the brand through maintaining the company Facebook page, Twitter account, and so on (means that Coke has been updating their activities frequently).
  7. "You can talk to Coke!" (They do take consumers' response to account. They do view consumers' videos about Coke. They will post and share consumers' pictures on their fan page.)
  8.  Have not forgot to create buzz in the fan crow to keep the passion and enthusiasm for the brand going forward.

Do enjoy the videos and my story lines :)
- Hien


Some bonus pictures telling facts:



























































































No comments:

Post a Comment