Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What happens when you die - Ethics in Social Media


The above video shows how your digital life keeps developing the moment you die in real life. You don't simply disappear off the Internet, companies will keep you on digital life support and resurrect you when the time is right. This all begs the question: " Are they allowed to do this? Is it legal or at least unethical?"

The companies are allowed to do that; with the voluntary nature of social media, you either agree to the Terms and Conditions and use them or you can always say no and stop using them. However, on the other hand, will anyone care if they do that when you are already dead? They will use your digital self far in the future, maybe at the time of your grand grand kids, do you think someone will remember you and say " Hey! That's my grand grand grandfather! Are you even allowed to use dead people like this?!"

The means to re-create a new digital you already exist, you already gave the consent, what else is there to stop the companies? In my opinion, I don't think anyone would care if they used my image as long as I am dead and don't know what's happening. But I would like to ask these companies - is it really worth it to keep data of dead people around? What are your opportunity costs? I guess this is a touchy subject that generates more questions than answers, nevertheless, I think all these practices should be known before you sign up for services in social media.




No comments:

Post a Comment