Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Mentality of a Social Networker

I recently read an article from Mashable that included survey results that I found extremely alarming.  It shows that social networkers are more likely to accept questionable behavior as OK.  While this may be circumstantial, I find it alarming that these are views held in common by many social networkers, and I question how social networking is shaping their beliefs.


*http://mashable.com/2012/03/17/social-media-ethics/

I will quickly go down the list and explain why these, in my opinion, are unacceptable.

1) "Friend" a client/customer on a social network.
 - Clients and customers are not friends, they are clients and customers.  They need to stay that way.  A previous relationship is a different story.  A large client or customer list does not mean you have a lot of friends.

2) Blog or tweet negatively about your company or colleagues.
 - I hope you found a new job before you did this.

3) Buy personal items with your company credit card as long as you pay it back.
 - Unless the employer has told you this is okay ahead of time, it constitutes theft.  Paying it back is merely restitution.

4) Do a little less work to compensate for cuts in benefits or pay.
 - If I were the employer this would encourage me to continue to cut your pay to reflect the amount of work you are doing.

5) Keep a copy of confidential work documents in case you need them in your next job.
 - Similar to the credit card incident, this is theft.

6) Take a copy of work software home and use it on your personal computer.
 - Again, theft.

7) Upload vacation pictures to the company network or server so you can share them with co-workers.
 - This should seem like a bad idea, but apparently more than half of the people surveyed think it's okay.  I lump it in with keeping a Facebook account private so no compromising images are made public.  It can also constitute theft of storage on the company network.

8)Use social networking to find out what my company's competitors are doing.
 - I am okay with this one.  if the competitor makes it public, it's fair game.

I feel that there is a new mentality growing with younger generations that has developed as a result of the open sharing of thoughts, media, etc.  There no longer seems to be a distinction between private and public life.

No comments:

Post a Comment