Thursday, April 12, 2012

Tuning In To the Pacific Science Center

Overall I am impressed with the Pacific Science Center's video content.  While browsing the videos on their YouTube account I found a good variety of trailers for their IMAX and promotional videos showcasing exhibits, events, or general information about the center.

As expected, the bulk of the content is trailers for IMAX.  I feel that this is how it should be.  Being that one of their major attractions is their theater, as a user I would want to be able to easily find the trailers for current and upcoming movies.  This proved to be very easy with their YouTube site.  The informational videos, the "Reaching Beyond" series and "Portal to the Public" were properly distributed throughout the list.  I didn't find it difficult to see the variety of content provided (i.e. the lst wasn't top heavy with IMAX trailers requiring scrolling to find other content).

Where I feel the Pacific Science Center is lacking a bit is in their use of the video on Facebook.  I was only able to find one video on the initial page load, and thought that this was rather thin.  I feel that people are generally lazy, and while the websites and articles that have been linked to from Facebook are interesting, user attention may be lost when they aren't exposed to video content.  If I were a parent I feel that a video that doesn't require as much focused attention would be desired so I can gain information about the center from Facebook but still manage my child(ren).

Likewise, with the website, I feel like I am doing a lot of reading.  Again, as an average American, I am lazy/too busy to read a lot.  When I finally scrolled all the way to the bottom of the screen I found the link to YouTube.  I feel that this link may be lost on a lot of people who don't bother scrolling all the way down when browsing websites.  If the social media links were floated up at the top of the page (specifically the YouTube link), I feel like my experience would have been much better as I would have found myself at YouTube much faster and would have had more time to learn about what the center has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment