Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Pacific Science Center - Thinking like someone with kids

Assessing the quality and effectiveness of the content posted by the Pacific Science Center to their website, Twitter, and Facebook requires that I think like a member of their target audience.  While much of their content is geared toward children, the marketing must be aimed at parents, educators, camp and daycare staff, and babysitters.  After putting these shoes on I am ready to evaluate the Science Center's content.

Website - The venue that will undoubtedly house the bulk of their content, the website, greets the user with a rotating banner promoting upcoming IMAX movies, exhibits, camps, and festivals.  As I browse the link menus at the top of the page I have access to just about everything they offer both present and future.  In terms of content they have done a great job.  The links are organized in an easy to navigate list and the pages that follow from the links provide the important information on the topic.  Their content on their website is great.  The layout.... I'll save that for another post.

Twitter - While I admittedly still don't understand the attraction of Twitter, I recognize its potential to be used as a communication tool between an organization and its followers/customers.  Pacific Science Center is slowly starting to understand that as well.  Their tweets seem to be more advertisements and less discussion.  It almost feels like they use it as a digital billboard rather than a communication tool.  I feel that they should focus some of their tweets on offerings to customers rather than simply showcasing their current exhibits (they already showcase everything very well on their website).

Facebook - The content on their Facebook page seems to be identical to what they are tweeting.  While some redundancy is good, Facebook allows them to say more than Twitter, and I don't feel they take advantage of this.  Additionally, there are stretches of days between posts.  If I were in charge of children and had to research activities for them to take part in (not yet, thankfully), I would very quickly stop looking at the Facebook page.

The Pacific Science Center grabbed me with their website (in terms of content), but began to lose me with their Twitter and Facebook accounts.  I don't think they are properly using Twitter and Facebook.  I would recommend they focus their Twitter on more of a conversation with their followers, and use their Facebook page to highlight their upcoming or current events.

No comments:

Post a Comment