Wednesday, June 6, 2012

What I've Learned About Internet Marketing

This class has been a pleasure to take; I was excited to sign up ever since I heard it was a course.  There have been many new and exciting things I've learned; however, the three that stand out the most are the 80/20 rule, the importance of developing a relevant story, and the how crucial it is to maintain each page.

The 80/20 rule is something that I surprisingly never learned about before this class.  After hearing that it is a rule that splits up the amount of items for posted for promotions vs. giving the customer what they want, I realized it was extremely important.  Customers do not want to solely hear about what the company is up to.  They are more interested in things that led them to "like" or follow the company in the first place.

The content of the story being told is also significant.  I will now always remember about the importance of relevance.  A story needs to appeal on an emotional level to connect with customers.  It also needs to be simple and to the point.  Stories should not be long and bore the reader or viewer.  Through examples and creating my own internet marketing strategy, I now feel confident in my ability to create compelling internet stories.

With the particular organization I did my project on (Childhaven), I had the opportunity to analyze a company that does not uphold a social media presence.  Before this class, I had always been disappointed whenever I stumbled across a Facebook or Twitter that had minimal updates.  However, after this class I almost cringe because I now know the vast amount of potential available that is being wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment