Thursday, March 29, 2012

Interactive Marketing - Thinking About Customers


The article “The Future of Interactive Marketing” provided us fundamental idea of Interactive Marketing and how to apply it.  The most valuable takeaway should be Interactive Marketers’ new directives a.k.a. CORE which makes marketing change the world by Customize by balancing user and business goals, treat Optimization as a discipline, Respond quick, and Empower influencers.

I like and drive MINI Cooper because I can differentiate my car from other MINI on the road. MINI Cooper can provide 50,000 different kind by changing their large variety of options.  I always want to be an exception, so I became a MINI owner.  I haven’t really noticed that I personally love customization until writing this, but yea who doesn't like it?

Last quarter, I had one guest speaker in my class. He told us that 40% of purchase on Amazon.com is from personal recommendations.  If you have bought things from Amazon.com you know what I am talking about.  I expected this number would be lower like 10% or so, but 40% is surprisingly insignificant.  If we see something we are interested in, we cannot stop thinking about it.  Amazon.com knows how to optimize their website to generate their profit.

When I was in Minnesota last week, I wanted to make sure how much money I had in my account. I have a BECU account, and tried to look up my balance online.  However, their security figured out I accessed from MN, and blocked and started asking me secret questions. “What is your mom’s middle name?” I am a Japanese, which means my mom is Japanese. We DO NOT have middle name.  Therefore, I could not answer the question to see my balance. It was on Sunday, and BECU doesn't provide 24/7 customer service although they pay out so good rate of interest on first $500. Quick responding has to be very important if I considered how much I was frustrated at the time.

I am not going to tell name of the restaurant, but my friend is working at Japanese restaurant in china town.  This place is pretty popular for their taste, and many of my friends from other countries told me the restaurant is the best in china town.  However, my friend always tell me how dirty inside of their kitchen is, how much they do not care about taste, and how mean they are to him.  These stories have discouraged me to visit and try the taste although everyone told me it's the best.  We should treat our employees as marketing tools to empower influencers.

We potentially know these stuffs we should apply in business, but through classes, we make sure the impact of those ideas.  This class would be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment